Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 4: We Are Not Alone

The day started off when I took the kids for dental checkups. My son will need to have 4 baby teeth pulled because his permanent teeth are coming in over the baby teeth--AND--in another year or two, he will need braces. Well, at least I have another year before braces. Ok, not too, too bad, but not great.

When I returned home, I had bad news waiting for me in the mail.

I felt like surely God had forgotten me. Why are things going from bad to worse? And then I came across this entry from Oswald Chambers' devotional, My Utmost for His Highest: The Never-forsaking God.

It doesn't matter if I lose material things, because He says, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," so I can boldly quote "God is there, ready to help; I'm fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me" (Hebrews 13:5-6, Message)

One of my favorite Psalms is Psalm 27. Ever since I was a kid, I'd hang on to the promise that says: "Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord will hold me close" (v. 10, New Living Translation). Notice it lists the father first and then the mother? That's because a mother is the last one to abandon her child. But God promises that even if your mother abandons you, "I'll always be here for you." We are not alone. 

Exactly one year ago, I almost lost my mother to a severe stroke and colon cancer. Thank God, she's still here. But I know many people who are dealing with losing their parents to debilitating mental health, leaving these adult children feeling like "orphans." 

You may be reading this and dealing with a parent's illness, death, or abandonment, but you are not alone. Regardless of your situation, He's not going to abandon you. I don't have answers as to why we're going through these times, but as Psalm 27:3 says, "When all hell breaks loose, I'm collected and cool" (Message).

By the way...
The bright spot in my day? My daughter finally learned to ride a two-wheel bike, and I was there to see it. I think I was more excited than she was.

Read and meditate: Psalm 27; John 14:17-19

No comments: