Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 3: Sprinkling a Little Salt

Salt. What's the first thing that pops in your mind? Table salt? Flavor? Salt is a great flavor enhancer and helps to reduce bitterness and acidity, bringing out the flavors in the food. Sprinkle a little salt on citrus and it actually enhances the flavor.


But what about "salt on a wound"? Pain? Last week I lost my job as a result of "corporate downsizing/merger." Talk about painful, especially because I have children to care for. Getting laid off like that--it's hard not to ask why me? Or what could I have done differently? But the truth is that it had nothing to do with me and everything to do with keeping my faith in tact and "preserving the peace" with others. 


Today I came across this scripture:
Everyone's going through a refining fire sooner or later, but you'll be well-preserved, protected from the eternal flames. Be preservatives yourselves. Preserve the peace (Mark 9:49-50, Message).
You see that? Everyone. Nobody's exempt from difficult situations. But it's what you do in difficult situations that determines your life. In the book Life's Challenges, Your Opportunities, John Hagee says:
Your vision determines your provision....People of faith search for the unique purposes within their problems, for it is by coming face-to-face with the problem that they can realize their opportunities and potential.
It's all about keeping our faith in Him to provide, guide, and protect that preserves us when we do go through adversity. 


As strange as this sounds, I actually feel more at peace now than when I had job security, and I'm confident that He will provide. For me, I saw this "problem" as a chance to pursue my true passion--writing--which is part of the reason I started this blog. And even when God does provide another job, I plan to continue pursuing writing, hopefully encouraging and uplifting someone else along the way.


So get out your salt shaker and sprinkle a little salt on that situation.


Read and meditate: Mark 9:49-50; Romans 14:19; Colossians 4:6; 1Peter 4:12-13
Think: How are you viewing your current situation or problems? Have you lost your peace? Your faith? Your joy? If so, when do you think it happened? 
Act: Look for a way to regain your joy and repurpose your vision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true Lillian!
Sherri