Friday, October 17, 2008

Save the Araphao Language!

I'm fascinated with learning about other cultures and languages; words fascinate me, partly because we can create (or destroy) with words. (I prefer to create and encourage.)

But this post in today's online version of The New York Times really touched me to the core. It's about a native Indian language that is slowly disappearing. The tribe recently opened a school to teach the younger generation this language in order to preserve not only the language, but the tribe's heritage and culture. And if you think about it, when a language dies, so does the culture. Language is so much a part of who we are.

I'm going to do some research to find out what can be done to raise awareness for this cause and help them retain their heritage. We owe it to them, because we would hope that someone would do the same for us.

[[Produced by Nancy Donaldson. Photographs and audio by Kevin Moloney of The New York Times.]]

No comments: